He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment.
His project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
He had done his homework well researching the facts about this particular chemical. I wanted to know more myself so I Googled it and the first link I got gave me a wealth of information.
So for plenty of good reasons the student, sought support based on the following facts:
- Can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
- is a major component in acid rain
- can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
- accidental inhalation can kill you
- contributes to erosion
- decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
- has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
- Forty-three (43) said yes,
- six (6) were undecided,
- and only one (1) said no.
In fact the one person who said no actually knew the chemical was water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide
The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"
At first when Trish sent me this I didn’t believe this story si I checked it on http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp and found it to be true. I should know here better as she does her homework well too, even with authenticating her jokes.
Take a look at the Snopes full text. It is a great read and indeed does shows even more-so just how gullible we can be!!!